Sunday, December 5, 2010

Grasshoppers Anyone?



Last Sunday when I went down to Soweto to pick up the ladies who were going to be baptized, I saw some kids peeling something and putting it in a bowl. I couldn’t tell what it was so I walked on. When I got to the office a man was selling bags of the “whatever” stuff I had seen. Each one was about two inches long and bright green. I thought it was some kind of vegetable I had not seen, maybe like peas. So, I stopped the guy and asked him what it was --grasshoppers. I had always seen them already fried and brown. I ran back to the car to get my camera and went back to where the kids were peeling.



When I got up close, I saw that they were taking each grasshopper and removing the wings, legs, and head and then bagging them. This week I found two of them in my house. The weird thing is that they don’t hop or fly away. Just sat there waiting for someone to pick them up and pluck them.

No comments:

Post a Comment